Full professor - Université Laval
Department of animal science,
Department of animal science,
Faculty of agriculture and food science
Research carried out by our team is varied. We are interested in three main themes, namely:
1. Fertilization power of sperm;
2. Sperm preservation;
3. Reproductive toxicology.
Current programs are the following:
1. Fertilization power of sperm. Our objective is to characterize intracellular signalling molecule responsible for fertility. Specifically, we want to elucidate the composition and the roles of a group of sperm proteins, which are phosphorylated during sperm maturation.
2. Semen cryopreservation. The ultimate goal of the project is to offer the Canadian animal industry protocols for the long term storage of semen and oocyte at low temperatures. We will use new approaches to increase gamete resistance to low temperatures. Establishing these protocols would promote the use of advanced reproduction techniques in order to accelerate genetic improvement and productivity of Quebec herds.
3. Determine the molecular mechanisms of toxic compounds found in the environment on male germinal cells and embryos. The global objective of this research project is to define how exposition to a mixture of pollutants, resembling those found in the environment, alters the methylation profile at the gene level to disrupt spermatogenesis and gene transmission in a rat model.
4. Nutrition and fertility in poultry. Our study aims to develop a diet enriched in n-3 fatty acids and anitoxidants in order to optimize reproductive performance (egg-laying, fertility, hatching...) of chicken breeder, and specifically, at the end of the reproduction cycle in order to limit performance decrease associated with the end of the cycle. We hope at the same time to optimize the survival and health of their offspring.
ExpertiseFertilization Reproduction Animal science Toxicology Cellular biology
Pavillon Paul-Comtois2425, rue de l'Agriculture
Québec (QC) Canada
Postdoctoral fellowship: School of medicine, Université de Pennsylvanie (Philadelphie, PA, USA)
PhD: Animal science, Université de Guelph (Guelph, ON, Canada)
MSc: Animal science, Université du Manitoba (Winnipeg, MB, Canada)
Undergraduate: Agriculture, Université du Manitoba (Winnipeg, MB, Canada)
Professionnel de recherche
L’acide folique en réponse aux impacts des contaminants en Arctique sur les Inuits : Quels effets sur les pères et la santé des générations futures ?
- Ressarch Vice-Dean of the Faculty of agriculture and food science (http://www.fsaa.ulaval.ca/)
- Co-president of the program committee for the annual meeting of the Society for the Study of Reproduction 2013 (http://www.ssr.org/)
- Past president of the scientific program committee of the annual meeting of the dAmerican Society of Andrology - 2011 (http://www.andrologysociety.org/default.aspx)
- Editorial Board of Andrology (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1111/(ISSN)2047-2927)
- Selected by the American Society of Andrology for the Young Andrologist Award for the year 2005